Biographie Francois-Xavier-Ignace Malhiot



Biographie Francois-Xavier-Ignace Malhiot

Lettre du père conservé par la Wisconsin Historical Society. Pierre Ignace tenait un journal de son voyage au Wisconsin 1803-1804



La même signature se trouve sur l'acte de mariage de son fils 1823 à Contrecour


Voici une publication du Antigo Journal du 2 septembre 1931, compilé de la Wisconsin Historical Collection.

Malhiot

Francois Victor Malhiot was born in 1776, the year of the Declaration of Independence. He was only fifteen years of age when he became an articled clerk to the North West Fur Company. In 1796 he was appointed to the Upper Red River Department where he remained about eight years. In the summer of 1804 he was sent to take charge of the post at Lac du Flambeau, where the complaints with respect to the clerk in charge, Charles Gauthier, seemed to make some change necessary.

The journal published in the Wisconsin Historical Collections, recounts the experiences of the succeeding winter. In 1807 he resigned. He married an Indian woman on August 8, 1800, at the fort at the mouth of the Winnipeg River. On leaving the interior he left her with her own people but took with him his half-breed son, Francois Xavier Ignace. Settling at Contrecouer he educated his son and lived there until his death in 1840. He was known to his relatives and fiends as Erambert.

He was a cousin of Jaques Porlier of Green Bay, great-grandfather of Mrs. Gust. Kawalski of Antigo, and a short time after his return from the Northwest he lived with the latter's maiden sisters at Vercheres. He is frequently mentioned in family letters.

Route Traders Followed
Malhiot's Journal shows that two days were spent in canoe journey from Portage (Long) Lake to Lac du Flambeau. The party first made its way by a network of lakes and streams to Turtle Lake, in northwest Vilas County: thence by short portages they reached the Manitowish River; they went eighteen miles down-stream to the Flambeau River, and twenty-four miles to Lac du Flambeau.

Doty, in a letter to Governor Cass, described the route as from the mouth of the Montreal River to Turtle Lake, 'From where there is a portage one-fourth of a mile to a small pond, thence up the outlet of a small lake one-fourth of a mile, from which a portage of three miles is made to the Old Plantation River. This is descended eighteen miles to the entrance of the Flambeau River, which rises in the lake of the same name, and is twenty four miles long."

In Malhiot's day a comparatively small, insignificant village of Chippewa dwelt at the mouth of the Ontonagon River, and was closely connected with the Lac du Flambeau Band, so that the trade was usually conducted from that point.



Mentions légales  |  Contactez-nous  |  Notre mission  |  Liens partenaires  |  Votre arbre généalogique
Copyright © NosOrigines.qc.ca 2018